Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rejected flier: Bauhaus Bash 2007


In 2007, the Spring "Promise Breakers" art/music show was in danger of not having a flyer. The usual artist of the flier had been incommunicado and there was no flyer artwork for "A Bauhaus Bash." These fliers are used to promote the show, and then printed onto a limited run of TShirts that are given away at the show as souvenirs.

I just wouldn't be a Promise Breakers show without a flyer! It wouldn't be a promise breakers show without a TShirt! So being the wide-eyed optimistic boy of initiative, I sketched and sketched and cobbled together a rather busy... yet attention grabbing flyer for the event, "A Bauhaus Bash." I got this put together in about two days, and gave a printout to the gentleman organizing the show. He was happy to use it to promote the show, and I was excited to see them around town, and eventually on the front of a real live TShirt!

And then came the day of the show, when what do I see? The usual artist apparently got a design done just in time, fliers everywhere, adorned on the TShirts.

I went with a "Vampire" theme. It being Bauhaus (the band), it being Springtime, I went with the whole fact that Syracuse is finally getting more sun, therefore it's a bad time to be a Vampire. And hey, more sun? A GOOD reason to celebrate! So enjoy music and art and alcohol at "A Bauhaus Bash". Right?

What did they wind up using? The usual artist went literal, choosing to loosely illustrate the 1933 closing of the Bauhaus school, by drawing a Nazi Fraulein burning a stack of canvases.

Yeah, no better way to advertise a fun evening out of music and art and alcohol than Nazis destroying art. Pff. Whatever. I like mine better, but that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment